ALOHA

ALOHA from KAUAI !

My Blog List

Saturday, October 2, 2010

A cool-I mean HOT heat experiment!

I just did a very simple heat experiment with my daughter that answered our question-what material is the best insulator of heat? All you need is 4 mugs, boiling water, 4 types of material big enough to cover the top of the mugs, (foil, wool, linen and paper is what I used), 4 rubber bands, and a thermometer.

First you put the same amount of boiling water in the mugs. Then you cover with your 4 materials and wait 30 min.s. We predicted the foil would be best. It was-it was 108 degrees.

However, to our surprise the other 3 worked well too. They were still 102 degrees-all the same.
We then put our info. on a line graph and decided to always use steel to go cups for our coffee and hot chocolate.

2 comments:

  1. Aloha from Eleele,

    http://frankskauaitp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the same set up, but used foil, paper, an over mitt & a down comforter. Like you, the water remained very hot under all four, but the foil worked best (paper cooled the most). My issue was with the thermometers we were provided. I took initial readings before I started the experiment & the thermometers did not give an accurate reading since they only went up to 120 degrees. I think it would be more accurate if we used digital thermometers.

    ReplyDelete